Having a Louisiana registered agent is a requirement of every registered business in the state.
You can’t complete the formation of your LLC (or other company structure) in Louisiana (and other states) without having designated a registered agent.
A registered agent provides:
- An official registered office address for the business
- A postal address to receive correspondence
- A physical address for receiving any service of process (in a lawsuit for example)
Who Can Be a Louisiana Registered Agent?
In simple terms, a Louisiana registered agent is a person or business entity that has a physical address in the state (a post office box is not sufficient).
Louisiana corporations law states that:
- A citizen of the state who resides in this state,” or
- A partnership or professional law corporation, which is authorized to practice law in this state, or a domestic corporation, domestic limited liability company, or foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state, which is authorized by its articles or certificate of incorporation to act as the agent for service of process, and which has on file with the Secretary of State a certificate setting forth the name of at least two individuals at its address in this state, each of whom is authorized to receive any process served upon it as such agent.
- If a business does not have a Louisiana registered agent, the Secretary of State is designated as the agent for service of process on suits involving all foreign corporations not registered with the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State is designated as the agent for service of process on suits involving domestic corporations after a diligent effort but unsuccessful attempt has been made to serve the corporation.
No matter who you choose to be your registered agent, they need to be physically present at the address provided to the state during standard business hours.
What will my Louisiana Registered Agent do For Me?
Aside from allowing you to form your LLC or other company structure in the state of Louisiana, your Louisiana registered agent service supports your business in three main ways: administrative, legal and compliance. It also offers a couple of advantages in terms of privacy and discretion, which we will detail below.
Your Louisiana registered agent service will receive all your mail and either forward it on to you, or scan it and upload it to a portal where you can view it.
This includes all correspondence with the state of Louisiana relating to your business.
The registered agent provides a physical address to receive hand-delivered service of process (SOP) paperwork regarding any legal action being taken against your company. We all hope this doesn’t happen, but it is always a possibility and a registered agent is required to fulfil this function for your company. If your registered agent receives any legal documents, they will let you know and forward the documents to you promptly.
Your registered agent helps ensure that your business files any required paperwork on time. Each state has its own schedule of required corporate filings – annual reports, tax payments or documents etcetera.
A registered agent service keeps track of these dates (which are subject to change) and emails your to remind you when filings are due. This ensures your business remains in good standing and doesn’t receive any fines or other actions including dissolution.
In Louisiana, all business entities are required to file an annual report before the LLC’s anniversary month. There is a $30 fee for this report. You can opt to file by mail, but it’s easiest to file the report online.
Privacy & Discretion
Having a registered agent service as opposed to using your own address gives you more privacy. For example, if you use your home or private office, that will become publicly available on the state’s business registry.
There’s also the additional discretion that a registered agent service provides – no one wants their neighbour, employees or clients to be present when a business has to accept service of process in the event of legal action.
The other key advantage using an online registered agent service (we reviewed our favourites below) as opposed to going it alone or using a local company is that a national firm allows for expansion to other states.
If you are setting up in another state, then you’ll need a registered agent there too. Doing it with a service means you can pay a little extra and add that state to your account and they will deliver documents for that entity via the same online account dashboard that you are familiar with.
Our Top Louisiana Registered Agent Services Reviewed
We recommend choosing one of the four national registered agent services below to be your Louisiana registered agent (hint, sometimes it is simplest and best to choose the same service to form your Louisiana LLC and be your Louisiana registered agent as there are savings to be made and it is simpler that way).
Each service has it’s own pros and cons, which we have summarized below. Once you have chosen, click on the Get Started link on the corresponding service and get the best available price to set up your Louisiana Resident Agent.
Price: $99 per year
Best customer service
|Northwest Registered Agent|
Price: $125 per year
Price: $119 per year
Best no frills
Price: $99 per year
Price: $299 per year
Forming a Business (LLC) in Louisiana
Of course choosing a registered agent is just one part of forming a business entity in Louisiana.
We’ve summarised the other main steps for forming an LLC (the appropriate entity for most situations) well as showing you where appointing a registered agent fits in the process.
- Choose a business name. Be sure to choose something that’s unique to your business, is easy to pronounce (helps with word of mouth) and fits with your business. It also needs to not be an business name that is already in use in Louisiana. You can check this with the Louisiana State Department via its Business Entity Search.
- Appoint your registered agent. We discussed this throughout so won’t repeat ourselves here other than to say we recommend a registered agent service.
- File your formation documents: The main document you need to file initially is the Articles of Organization. Annual filings will include the annual report, but you don’t have to do that until your LLC (Limited Liability Company) is up and running.
Louisiana Business Fast-Facts
- Size of Louisiana economy: $241bn in Gross Domestic Product
- Business Formation Speed: 2-4 business days
- 3-5 business days
- 3 business hours ($50 extra)
- Cost (state fees) to Form a Business: $100 for LLCs
- Annual Reports: Fee of $35.
Louisiana Registered Agent Service FAQs:
How much does a Registered Agent Service Cost?
A registered agent service is typically around $100 per year (although some can cost several hundred dollars per year).
What about a Louisiana-only (as opposed to national) registered agent service?
There are local firms that offer a registered agent service and they are perfectly fine for some people. The only area in which these local firms suffer in comparison to the four services that we prefer is their dashboards are usually not as user friendly and these firms can’t service your needs if you need to expand into another state.
How to Change Your Louisiana Resident Agent?
It is possible of course to change your Louisiana registered agent if you have an existing service. You can find out how do this here.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Louisiana?
Yes, if you are physically resident in Louisiana but there are drawbacks to this, particularly if you use your home address as the registered address of the business.
Are There Other Options For Registered Agent Services?
Yes, for sure. We’ve included what we think are the best, but in this post we’ve reviewed the 11 main national registered agent services.